Friday, February 15, 2013

Having LCD TV Problems? Need Repair?

My Polaroid LCD TV has been acting up on me lately. I’m not sure what is wrong but there seems to be something wrong with the LCD display and there are occassions when no picture turns up when turned on. I’m thinking it might be a problem with the power and occassionally causes a power up failure. It is driving me nuts. Is it time to buy a new LCD TV like I suggested in my previous post?

Having a busted TV does not necessarily imply that a new purchase is in order. Most especially if you are unprepared financially and has nothing saved up for a new purchase. To learn more about my options I went about online to find more information to help me in my decision. After all, considering recent economic events, any expenditure should be viewed as a big decision. Do not just dip into those savings to purchase that new big screen TV just because your current one is on the blink. And with what I have learned so far in my searches, I have decided to try and explore the possibility of having the TV repaired first.

One site that contributed in a major way to this decision is this do it yourself LCD repair site that advocates the DIY repair of televisions by using information mainly found online. The site suggests that it might be more practical to troubleshoot and diagnose the LCD TV yourself first before you consider having it repaired or junked. A pretty prudent suggestion, in my humble opinion.

One good example of a DIY repair attempt that succeeded because of online help is reported in this Sony Wega DIY Television flicker repair over at Flogging English.

Further online search also made me stumble into this DIY LCD TV repair site that suggested a simple step by step way of diagnosing your unit for simple LCD TV HDMI cable problems before considering calling in the repair crew. Let me quote a part of it that I thought was related to the problems I am currently having:

Problem #1: No Picture

If there’s absolutely nothing on the screen then shut the television down and then restart it. Make sure all the connections are properly placed and where they should be. Look at the screen. If you see a resolution notice or indication then chances are that the Display Data Channel (DDC) line has communicated between source and sink. This means that the problem is likely video related.

Continue reading here.

No comments: